Sunday 20 February 2022

The weather gods

 

Storm ‘Eunice’ arrived with a nervous and fast changing sky, beautiful at first but soon looking threatening.


‘There is always music amongst the trees in the garden, but our hearts must be very quiet to hear it’. Was there music just in the trees?! It was outrageous, it sounded like Wagner, or Andriessen. Heavy going and most certainly going to our hearts!

In this painting by J.W. Waterhouse we see Boreas, the god of the cold Northern wind, bending the trees. Oreithya, goddess of the cold mountain winds, is trying to resist his force. She goes along in a field with daffodils, wearing one in her hair, pink blossoms behind her on the tree. The end of winter, a new beginning, the energy and brightness of spring. A beautiful painting!

'Eunice' damaged a lot in our garden and moved a few roof tiles. We were lucky not to have major disasters happening to the house. When I was clearing away the broken branches of our birch tree, out on the street next to our hedge, many a passer by told how scared they had been. 

A storm clears the air. After raking the lawn, clearing away the débris, after having put the roof tiles back into place, the trumpetters of spring, the daffodils and the blossoms were catching our eyes.



The tête à tête daffodils around the foot of one of the beech trees are a gift from my aunt. She presented them in a large bowl for my birthday a few years ago. They enjoy their second life and remind me of the long and animated chats I had with this so dear aunt, the last witness of my parents young life. My dear aunt is in my heart, I hear her music, and the beech tree hears Helena's music too.








2 comments:

  1. Hello
    Nice to meet you!You have a special blog,I love it...I think we share the same likes and interest
    Thank you for your visit,I hope we will meet again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still here…and so good to hear from you ! My blog has changed…and I can not get it back in how it was…also many things in life have changed and I am now trying to find myself back too…. But I am still here - and I thank you for your kind words…💐

    ReplyDelete